Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Three more reference letters...

We called my (Carlie’s) parents one evening to ask them to write a reference letter for us. Of course my parents were supportive and agreed. Within 48 hours my Mom had the letter written and mailed. I remember stressing initially about telling my parents that Katie and I would be adopting. How would they react? Would they tell us to be patient and keep trying even though we didn’t want to? Would they and the rest of the family accept an adopted child the same as a biological child? My family doesn’t have anyone close in relation who has adopted, so this process was going to be as new and foreign to them as it was to us. Every call I made home to my Mom and Dad showed me again and again the type of people they have always been. I should have never stressed. They were honest, supportive of our decision, and reminded both Katie and I that it didn’t matter what other people thought. This was our lives and we had to do what was best for us.

One thing you need to know about Rich Hill, is news travels fast. Superfast. I believe the internet couldn’t compete to how information is disseminated in my home town. Within a few days, we had already received a message from my cousin Valerie saying she had heard the news, and that she was excited for us. RedFisch will be welcomed into the Fischer family the same as he or she was our own biological child.

Shortly after asking my Mom and Dad for a reference letter, we made similar calls to Uncle Richard and Aunt Denise, and Uncle Ivan and Aunt Anita. All family reference letters have been requested now. Three more things off the list.

No comments:

Post a Comment